Reading at the Crossroads

Reading at the Crossroads is an archive for columns and letters which appeared in the Terre Haute Tribune Star. I also blog here when my patience is exhausted by what I feel is irritating, irrational and/or ironic in life. --gary daily

My Photo
Name:
Location: Terre Haute, Indiana, United States

The material I post on this blog represents my views and mine alone. The material you post on this blog represents your views and yours alone.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

No, Mr. Trump, God Is Not on Your Side

Because of the times, because of the threats of the Trump administration, GOM (Grumpy Old Man) is taking it up a notch in his letters to the Terre Haute Tribune Star. I’m uneasy with this. In the past I’ve responded by naming only those who used my name in their letters or directly engage with something I’ve written. This letter of mine (it appears in today’s THTS) calls out a Ms. Munson. I don’t know Ms. Munson. She’s probably a very nice woman, But . . . hard times call for hard truths and those hard truths must be thrown at people who live in glass houses. Even if they live on the 66th floor of a luxury apartment tower or try to take shelter behind the stain glassed windows of a church.
__________
Resisting Trump must be done
In response to Kathie Munson (Reader’s Forum, Dec. 1, “Get behind our new president”):
Are you certain you want to begin a plea for President-elect Trump with this: “Don’t you guys think it’s about time you got behind our president-elect?” ... and end it with this? “Nothing is impossible with God.”
Remember the man you’re asking people (and your god) to get behind. Remember Donald Trump’s bigotry, lies, and predatory actions and degrading comments in regard to women.
If your god is planning on working with this man, then you can truly say god works in mysterious ways.
Personally, when anyone forces god and government into the public arena, I always go with the concluding line of John F. Kennedy’s Inaugural Address: “... here on earth God’s work must truly be our own.” For me and for the majority of voters in this country, this means steady resistance to Trump’s demagoguery and plutocratic mind set.
— Gary Daily, Terre Haute
-letter is here, second on page:

1 Comments:

Anonymous michael neary said...

Have tried to leave comments here before with out success. Pretty sure my technical ineptitude is the problem. Anyway, I am enjoying the stepped up letter campaign in Trib Star. Can I call it a surge?

I think I have a letter coming out this week in the Lebanon Advertiser that touches on the topic of God and he who's name need not be uttered (hwnnnbu). I'm not sure whether it will be internet searchable,. If not, I'll send copy.

Perhaps its time to apply pressure to Republican leaders to start acting like mammals of principal before their spines completely atrophy. McConnell is too far gone, but Ryan, McCain, McCarthy might still have functional vestiges.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home